Subscribe:
    Subscribe Twitter Facebook

    Wednesday, August 11, 2010

    Bon Appetit!

    I was in Ahmedabad this New Year's eve (31st December 2009...duh-uh), watching '3 Idiots' with Snehal and his friends. I had a sheepish grin on my face when Kareena rambled on this dialogue in drunk stupor:

    "Tum Gujarati log kitne cute hote ho. Par tumhaare khaane ke naam itne daraawne kyun hote hain? Faafda, Thepla,Dhokla, Handva, Khandvi. Jaise ki koi missile ho."

    At that time, it seemed like an exaggeration. However, after living in Gujarat for 2 months, I think that statement holds true...at least for someone not used to that kind of food. Or maybe it is just me and my eating habits.

    Among other changes that have taken place in my life, food habits turned out to be one of the bigger ones. Although I retain eating my perennial favourite "2 mins Maggi", there are plenty of things I don't do.

    For example, breakfast isn't what it used to be. Eating Roti ('Bhakri" as it is called here) and curry for breakfast isn't my thing. I miss eating Bread and Eggs (the latter is a strict no-no in this household...and I dare not speak about C-H-I-C-K-E-N..hussshhhh), cereal, upma, dalia as the morning meal. I love my bread and mayonnaise. Although I did get mayo from the supermarket, it isn't the same. I am a lazy bum and don't want to get my bread to go with the Mayo.

    One of the main reasons for getting the mayo was to make coleslaw sandwich at home. The thing is, no one here had seen or heard about coleslaw. I had made a few dishes my way, and apart from hubby dearest, they didn't seem to go down well with the rest of the family. Rather, they might still take time to develop the taste buds for my kind of food. Same goes for me. I don't really like Daal Dhokli or Faafda or Paatra. Maybe I'll develop the taste for it. Maybe not. Who knows? Only time will tell.

    I so want to prepare Paneer in Hot Garlic Sauce, but no one here wants to eat something exotic (read Paneer = Exotic). I so want to make Bagaara Baingan but it requires tamarind and no one here really likes tamarind.

    I have always loved experimenting with food and learning new dishes. Cooking is a pleasure and I enjoy it as much as I enjoy writing. But every once in a while, I'd like to stick to my favourites. Although I prepared a few dishes that I wanted to eat, the unsatisfaction or rather, no comments approach of the rest of the family doesn't want me making those again. I think it happens with all of us. Getting used to things is a big deal and it is only now that it strikes me.

    I'm not trying to bitch here about anything. I'm just putting forth what I feel. I love the family I married into. My mother in law is the sweetest. My father in law is the cutest, he brings me fruits and what not (all healthy, mind you!). My husband, well :) :) :) (Should explain it all!).

    I realise now that food is also a huge culture and I have found new respect for all those cookery shows on Discovery T&L where they go to different parts of the world to showcase new recipes. It is more than just cooking.

    Bon Appetit! :)

    3 comments:

    k.ø.c.h.ü said...

    Voila !!!

    n Lord!! Life without egg n Chicken??? ooo

    V. Archana said...

    :) :) Sounds interesting. You definitely will get used to the new tastes,its just the matter of time as u said.

    Nice blog,would like to read more of you,Dollz :)

    Priya Joyce said...

    ahaaan!
    hubby dear is veg too? :P
    well all I cn say is hav fun in explorin the dangerous food :P may be..u'd love it :)

    Post a Comment