Subscribe:
    Subscribe Twitter Facebook

    Monday, August 2, 2010

    Hello Mrs. Patel

    Well for starters, I'm still Smriti Srivastava. Just add "Mrs" to it.

    I refuse to change my family name which I've had for over 24 years of my life. My husband and I had decided that it would be my decision ultimately and he'd have no problem. As of now, I am not comfortable with being called "Mrs Smriti Snehalkumar Patel".

    Someone told me that it is a mark of respect and love for the man you marry. I say that is bull. Just because I don't want to change my last name, doesn't mean I love my husband any less. He agrees. So screw you, society norms.

    Yes, if someday, if I really want to change it, I will get it done. Not now. Not today.

    And why should only the girls have to make these adjustments and changes?

    Like leaving your parents' home and moving in with a new family wasn't enough, you have to give up on a part of your identity too? I might be illogical to many, but these are my set of beliefs. So just deal with it.

    Everyone wants to advocate about womens' empowerment, womens' rights and matriarchal society. So, why should a wife take after a husband's name? Why can't the husband take the wife's name?

    Snehalkumar Srivastava.

    No way would he ever call himself that. Even if he loves me as much as he does.

    So, here we are at it again.

    I'm Smriti Srivastava. Married to Gujjuboi Snehalkumar Patel.
    On a new journey in life and already seething with anger at the society.

    Venom. Spit. And here I am. Get out of my way now.

    1 comments:

    Priya Joyce said...

    oh girl so true!

    tats y i dun even use my pa's name :P

    Post a Comment